Monday, February 09, 2009

Positive Thinking




Over several months I created a massive art installation that came to me in a grand stroke of inspiration but took quite a bit of planning and experimentation to pull off. Even in the picture, it was not quite finished. When I bought my place in LA, I instantly found the perfect place for it, right over the fireplace.


When I moved into my new place, I wanted to christen it by hanging my hand-made installation. I opened every box the movers brought, but it wasn't there. Neither phone calls nor searches would find it. My beloved art was gone.


For weeks I was inconsolable. One day I got a letter from the moving company saying "We'd like to reimburse you for your lost items. Please let us know their value." How dare they? I asked, indignant. The material cost was almost nothing, but the piece is invaluable!


They paid me $200. That makes me a professional artist.


No comments: